Chihuahua Quick Facts:
* Toy Group
* Smallest breed of dog
* Named after the state of Chihuahua, Mexico
* First entered Westminster Dog Show in 1879chihuahua
* Life span 8-22 years
* Two types – Long Coat and Smooth Coat. Will not find both types in the same litter.
* 6-10 inches to top of shoulder Weigh 6 pounds or less
* Any color – solid, marked or splashed
* Body longer than tail
* Alert tends to be loyal to one person.
* Terrier-like temperament (tenacious, territorial).
* Doesn’t tend to get along with other breeds.
* Can be snappy and wants to take control.
* Craves attention, eager to please, affectionate, jealous.
* Not recommended for small children as they can be snappy and their small size can lead to the dog being injured by an overly rambunctious child.
Chihuahua Potential Health Issues:
* Prone to Epilepsy and Seizures.
* Digestive problems.
* Low blood sugar.
* Have a tendency to become overweight easily if their diet is not monitored.
* Birthing problems; often need Vet. assistance.
* Take care not to get water into ears as they are prone to ear infections.
* Periodic Vet. cleaning of ears and teeth is needed. Teeth have a tendency to build tartar. Due to the smallness of the mouth, food can collect and remain along the gum line.
* Don’t expose dog to the cold unless dressed warmly.This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won't cost you a penny more) Click here for my full disclosure policy.