Best Dog Hair Remover For Furniture
Table of Contents
Furniture upholstery can be cleaned of dog hair with a damp latex glove. Wipe across the furniture fabric and the dog hair will stick to the glove. Pre-wiping with a fabric softener sheet will help to loosen the hair. In a pinch, if you can’t locate your latex glove (or if you are allergic to latex) a damp hand will help remove the hair also. After removing the hair, simply rinse the glove well and it’s ready to go for your next dog hair cleanup.
Sticky tape, such as packing tape or duck tape works well to remove dog hair from furniture. Either use by the piece or wrap sticky side out around your hand to pickup dog hair.
I’ve recently discovered that a kitchen plastic wrap called Press n Seal works great at dog hair pickup. Tear off enough to wrap around your hand, sticky side out and use like you would use tape to remove the hair. Or, tear off a larger sheet and lay sticky side down on your furniture, press flat with your hand and remove. You will be amazed at the amount of dog hair that is sticking to the wrap.
- Of course the trusty lint roller is a staple to help get rid of dog hair. Mine was always running out of sticky paper or I’d find it sticking to everything that was in the drawer with it. Then I found the washable, reusable lint roller. This thing is amazing at picking up dog hair, dust and lint. And, it does not stick to everything stored with it. Added bonus, it comes with a short handle version and a longer handle one to reach out of the way places.
Cleanup Dog Hair From Bedding and Pillows
Remove pillow covers from their forms.
Shake the bedding (human or dog) thoroughly outside before adding to the washer.
Add approx. 1/2 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle. This acts as a natural softener and helps to release the hair from the fabric fibers.
Toss a couple new tennis balls into the dryer with the bedding. The tennis balls tossing about with the fabric will help to gently pound the hair loose and it will end up in the lint trap (which you will need to clean immediately.)
Clean up Dog Hair From Wood and Tile Floors
Best Broom For Dog Hair on Hardwood Floors (and Tile!)
- Rubber brooms are a wonder tool to get rid of dog hair. Unlike regular bristle brooms, the rubber broom for pet hair allows you to sweep up the hair without it blowing about. I first saw this in use at a Home and Garden Show and was mega impressed. Bought it and have been loving it for about five years now. I’ve since noticed my dog’s Veterinarian office as well as the Doggie Day Care are using this rubber broom to get rid of dog hair. Must be something to it! You can get the Rubber Broom for a great price on Amazon.
Best Dust Mop For Dog Hair
The Best Dust Mop for Dog Hair is a microfiber mop that the hair clings to as it is picked up. I’ve used several but finally settled on the Bona Dust Mop. I am a huge fan of all the Bona products and use their cleaner regularly for all my hard surface floors. I even put their cleaner in my Bissell Crosswave. I found a good deal on Amazon, especially if you are just getting started with the Bona products. You get the long handle, dusting pad, cleaning pad and a 32oz. spray bottle of their cleaning solution. Get the 4-piece set from Amazon.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair And Hardwood Floors
- One of my favorite go-to tools is a bit pricier but I would not be without it. The BISSELL Crosswave Pet Pro All in One Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner and Mop for Hard floors and Area Rugs is AMAZING! This machine is a vacuum and floor cleaner in one. You simply fill the canister with either the Bissell Floor Cleaner or your favorite brand and the machine lays down the cleaner and sucks up the dog hair, cleaning and vacuuming the floor at the same time. This dual action saves time and does a super job of cleaning the floor. Wood floors should never be subjected to large amounts of liquid and this vacuum allows you to control how much you put down. I love this machine soooo much. Between my daughter and I, we have six dogs and three of the Bissell Crosswaves. An added advantage of this vacuum is that it also cleans area rugs. This video will give you an excellent view of how well the Bissell Crosswave works.
I consider the Bissell Crosswave to be the Best Vacuum for Tile Floors and the Best Vacuum for Wood Floors
Order the Bissell Crosswave from Amazon.
How to Get Dog Hair Out of Carpet
Carpet can be a really dirty place in your home. The germs and dirt that reside there are scary. Particles get caught up in the fibers and set up house. That is one very big reason why solid surface floors, such as hardwoods, laminate and tile have become so popular. Easy to clean and keep relatively germ-free. However if your home already has carpet or you simply prefer the soft feel of carpet beneath your feet, her are some ideas to help keep your carpet clean and get rid of dog hair.
How to Remove Hair From Carpet Without A Vacuum
A good pet hair vacuum is really a necessity for families with pets in their homes. No matter how much brushing and grooming you do, your sweet Fur Child will still be releasing a huge amount of hair and dander each day.
However, sometimes it is just not convenient to drag out the vacuum. Or, for times your vacuum breaks, these dog hair remover tips will help you to clean up quick. You can also use these ideas before you do your regular vacuuming if you like.
- Add several drops of fabric softener to a full spray bottle of water. Spray over carpet, then brush with a stiff-bristled brush or bristle broom.
- Rake through carpet with a Rubber Broom or Carpet Rake.
- Use a long-handled Lint Roller.
What is The Best Vacuum For Pet Hair
Before I bought my vacuum, (the one I consider the best vacuum for dog hair) I vowed not to give in to all the advertising and hype I had seen for this particular vacuum. But, after struggling for years with my cheaper sweepers and never being satisfied with how well they removed the hair from the carpets in my multi-dog house, I succumbed. I finally purchased a Dyson Vacuum. So very glad I did. This vacuum really sucks (in a good way). These are a few of the things I like about this amazing sweeper:
- Strongest suction of any vacuum. Even more power for tough tasks
- Self-adjusting cleaner head Seals in suction across carpet, wood, vinyl, and tile floors
- Tangle-free Turbine tool, stair tool, combination tool included.
- Whole-machine HEPA filtration ensures allergens and bacteria are captured and trapped.
- Hygienically empty the bin with the push of a button
NOTE: I am a huge fan of Bissell and own their Crosswave (which, as stated above, I love) but have not tried their larger vacuums yet. Planning to in the future, simply because I appreciate this company so much. They are very animal oriented, especially Cathy Bissell who hugely supports animal rescue. And, each purchase of their products results in a donation made to rescue efforts. Yay!!!
How to Remove Pet Hair From Clothes
- Duct tape
- Rubber glove, slightly wet
- Sticky Lint Roller
- Palm of your hand, slightly wet
When a dog is a part of your family, his hair will naturally be a part of your decor. It’s difficult to totally eliminate dog hair but with a little effort you can greatly decrease the amount. Having the right tools and products on hand will help make the job easier and it does help to only have friends who are dog lovers too. They understand!