If you are more of a do-it-yourself type person you can make your own dog first aid kit. Easy to do with supplies readily available.
Items Needed To Make Your Own Dog First Aid Kit:
Important Phone Numbers:
Emergency Vet or Clinic
Supplies For Your Dog First Aid Kit
- Soft Sided Insulated Cooler (six pack size) or plastic container
- Small Magnifying Glass
- Scissors with Rounded Ends
- Latex Gloves
- Rectal Thermometer
- Syringes (various sizes)
- Cloth & Paper Towels
- Cotton Balls & Swabs
- Lubricant (such as Vaseline)
- Slip Leash
- Styptic Powder
- Muzzle or Roll of Gauze
- Large Towel or Blanket (for stretcher)
- Another Blanket or Towel (for warmth)
- Disinfectant Such As Isopropyl Alcohol
- Heat & Cold Packs Wrapped in Towel
*This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase from a link on this site, I will earn a small commission. This helps to support the site and keep it going but you will not pay a penny extra.
Dog First Aid Spray, Safe & Natural Wound Care For Dogs,! 30ml Dog First Aid Kit Supplies, Better Than Meds Or Antibiotic Ointment, No Side Effects! Made In USA By Pet Relief
Medications For Your Dog First Aid Kit
- Buffered Aspirin
- Saline Solution (for flushing eyes and cleaning wounds))
- Antihistamine (for stings, swelling and itching)
- Antibiotic Ointment or Cream
- Cortisone Cream or Spray
- Hydrogen Peroxide (can be used to make dog vomit when mixed with water)
- Antidiarrheal Liquid
- Wound Disinfectant (such as Betadine)
- Ear Cleaning Solution
- Karo Syrup (to help raise the sugar level)
- Gatorade or Pedialyte (for rehydration)
- Gauze (rolls & square pads)
- White First Aid Tape
- Elastic Bandage
You may find that there is not enough room in the six pack size cooler for all these items. The medications,smaller supplies and bandages can be stored in this container. Then, place this container into a larger cooler or small box.
It requires a little effort to make your own dog first aid kit, but you will have the peace of mind in knowing that you’ll be prepared to help your dog in an emergency.
Make Your Own Dog First Aid Kit (Mini Size)
- Small zippered pouch or bag, preferably one that attaches to your belt (fanny pack) or fits easily into your backpack.
- Pair of disposable gloves
- Several square and small roll of gauze bandage. make-your-own-dog-first-aid-kit
- White first aid tape.
- Small scissors
- Small bottle with alcohol
- Small container of wound disinfectant and tube of antibiotic cream
- Antihistamine (such as benadryl) for bee stings
All these items will be much smaller versions of those in your regular dog first aid kit. They are meant simply to be used when you don’t have easy access to your larger kit. When back at your home or car, you will probably need to utilize some of the other items in your large first aid kit. Of course, if the injury is serious, take your dog to the Vet immediately!